Thursday 6 May 2010

Wiki

Dear all

One of the technology related changes I want to introduce in my class is the use of Wiki. There are free Wikis at http://www.wikispaces.com/ for the classroom purpose. One of the major problems as I mentioned before is the academic writing of my thesis year students. On the one hand, they lack resources and on the other hand, their academic writing is not satisfactory. They are not able to review the related literature correctly. Their reviews do not become engaging which includes argument and counter-argument.

Moreover, they do not edit their language before them submit their written works to me. I have to spend hours and hours to edit their works.
In order to help my students in their academic writing, I think Wiki will be one of the best tools in many ways. It develops the collaborative writing atmosphere among them. They read each others' written work, evaluate their works and reflect on own work. This process will enhance critical thinking skills of the students.

Likewise, I can also provide them various links where they can read more literature. This does not only save the time but also make students confident to write.

The use of Wiki also motivates the students to write more because they see that their works published. Moreover, they also become conscious of making mistakes as their works will be read by their friends and teachers.

I can also post the examples of literature reviews and academic writings which guide them to write better. This process at the end will promote learner autonomy.

I would be grateful if you could suggest to make Wiki project more fruitful.

Cheers
Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment