Sunday 16 May 2010

Reflection: Week 6 (Rubrics)

Dear all
I am sharing my reflection on creating the rubrics for assessment. It was one of the challenging tasks I faced during the course. It was challenging due to the nature of students' work that I intended to assess i.e. an objective assessment of research and academic writing skills is not possible. What I feel is that preparing the rubrics for assessing research and academic writing skills subjectively is really a tough job. First, it is tough to fix criteria to assess these skills. Second, to make a clear description of each criterion is tougher. The toughest job is to make how one category is different from other ones.

However, the rubrics shared by the colleagues were marvellous. I found the site http://rubistar.4teachers.org easy to prepare the rubrics for the any kind of assessment.

Cheers
Regards

5 comments:

  1. Hello Prem,

    You are right each one of us has given useful sites for rubrics. It was not too difficult to build my rubric not because of me but the page. It is amazing when technology is used in service of education. I would like to share all of this information with my colleagues. Actually one of my friends asked for a seminar based on the topics that I have learned during this course. I am happy about that because I know they will create the same or better pages than us, and the best fact is that these pages are free.

    Bye,

    Zuleika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zuly

    Thank you for your comment. Yes, there are so many things to share with colleagues in our respective contexts. Faculties in my department are also willing to learn so many things about what I have been learning. I feel excited to share with them. In future, I will be sharing this knowledge with other friends. I would love to write joint article if any of you are interested to do.

    Regards
    Prem

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Prem! My partner! ;)
    I also found difficult to design my rubrics.
    To be honest I had always used already made ones in the past and had never thought of the great amount of work and effort it requires to desing rubrics that actually assess what you want and need.
    I think that we need support when it comes to desingning this.
    Maybe meetings with supervisors who have more experience than us or even a co-worker who teaches the same subject might be of great help! Two heads think better than one!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eve!! My project partner
    Thank you for your comment on my post.Yes, we should spend a long time to prepare the rubrics. It takes longer time than the preparing the whole lesson..

    Cheers
    Prem

    ReplyDelete