Sunday 9 May 2010

Reflection: Week 5

Dear All

Every week is a new week! Every week, a new knowledge!!

This is what I am feeling until now. There are so many things to explore for our students. The more we go into the sites the more we make a thread of the unlimited resources. It is very difficult to articulate what exactly I learned since there are tons of things I did last week. It was overwhelming indeed.

First, I got an opportunity to go through various technology-integrated projects and WebQuests. Going through various links and posts shared by friends, I learned that technology provides a large number of projects for our students which we can use to develop their language skills, make them aware of various issues/contents and build the habit of exploratory learning.

The project works and WebQuests give students more freedom to learn. Likewise, teachers are not considered as the source of knowledge or authority rather they are co-learners or facilitators for the students.

We also discussed different issues ranging from the lack of motivation to read and write to cheating in the examination. We had insightful discussions on how technology helps to solve these problems. I learned that there are many tools and resources which we can obtain from technology to enhance our teaching skills and help our students learn more.

The most important and exciting thing I leaned was creating the WebQuest. I had heard about it before but I had never learned how to create and use it for the classroom purposes. Although I struggled a lot to design it, when I designed one, I realised that I accomplished something. I got chance to go through the wonderful WebQuests designed by friends to teach different skills and aspects of language.

I also went through various websites shared by friends which provided me many insights on teaching English. I will be using them for various purposes. The idea of using controversial issues in the classroom is what I like most to develop critical thinking skills of students.

Cheers
Prem

1 comment:

  1. Dear Prem,

    the idea of developping critical thinking skills is a challenge for teachers. Students are used to agree with the tacher and everything the teacher says is all right, they just take the example. They should be trained to be more critical, more selective about everything around. But, it's not at all easy, you know. I am very curious (in general I am not, but now I really am) to know how you manage to do this. Maybe you can share...

    All the best,
    Nadina

    ReplyDelete